On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 8:42 PM Adam Williamson
<adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hey folks!
>
> So, I caught an interesting story on LWN today:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/813254/
>
> it appears the FSF is planning to run a forge and contribute to
> whatever project they use, and Pagure is currently their leading
> contender:
>
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Fsf_2019_forge_evaluation
>
> "Pagure (seems most likely, its our current focus)"
>
> were we aware of this? Is it feeding into the forge evaluation at all?
> Given that resource constraints seem to be a significant factor,
> presumably having some resources contributed by FSF would be rather
> useful...

I'm not sure if anyone beyond myself, Pierre-Yves, and Julen actually
knew this was going on prior to now. :)

But yes, I was aware of this, as Andrew Engelbrecht from the FSF
reached out to us asking about how to handle spam[1] for their
evaluation back in December. Since then, I've been helping them with
their evaluation of Pagure as the FSF's new forge. They had briefly
mentioned this in their November bulletin to supporters, too[2]. Up
until a few days ago, they had been super low-key about it. My current
guess is that it'll launch at LibrePlanet[3] this year, or at least
everything will be finalized for a launch shortly after.

As far as I know, it might not be feeding into the evaluation at all,
though it would be nice if it did help the case for Pagure for
Fedora's forge.

The FSF's current plan to deploy Pagure has also triggered interest by
others who prefer a fully "free as in freedom" platform. It also led
to Pagure finally landing in Debian[4] (and thus, Ubuntu[5]).

I'm aware of at least three Linux distributions that are considering
Pagure now, one of which is considering a migration from GitLab to
Pagure. I'm also aware of at least one commercial entity evaluating it
for a preferred integration for a product, due specifically to the
design of Pagure being quite amenable to their needs.

I really haven't broadly discussed this because I didn't feel like
anyone here would have cared at this point in time, but this is
something that I've been doing for a lot of Fedora's infrastructure
software to try to bootstrap communities around them. It seems nobody
has really tried before, which is quite unfortunate. We should
hopefully start seeing the fruits of that work sooner rather than
later.

[1]:
https://lists.pagure.io/archives/list/pagure-de...@lists.pagure.io/thread/H2LCKVG6DDMLBCKPQMDKZO75OUCJVNVC/
[2]: https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2019/fall/the-path-to-a-free-internet