On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 at 07:48, Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:
> The problem is that in the past there have been some packages that have
> had to be updated first to successfully do the upgrade.

So we list them with versions and do a deterministic check. Being told
over and over and again "you need to make sure everything is up to
date before upgrading" just isn't specific enough. e.g.

 * Do flatpaks have to be up to date? What about firmware updates? Modules?
 * Do we have to be running the latest kernel or just have it installed?
 * Do packages in all repos have to be up to date, or just fedora-updates?
 * If fedora-updates is explicitly disabled (e.g. updates come from a
corp repo), do we enable the Fedora one before upgrading?
 * If the user has fedora-updates-testing enabled, does that have to
be up to date too? And rawhide?
 * What if there are version locked packages in dnf.conf? Does that
prevent an upgrade?
 * What if the user doesn't have new metadata, or new enough for some
repos that are only available on VPN for example?

Asking the user to download 2Gb of updates so that they can download
2Gb of upgrades is just bad. If we need a "fixed" rpm of a specific
version, we need to check for that version or newer. If we need to
check that a specific package is not installed, then we check that
package isn't installed.

/me the gnome-software maintainer, that actually cares that a
recommendation is actually possible to encode into code.

Richard.