Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 10:55 AM Dan Čermák
> <dan.cer...@cgc-instruments.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> my question is pretty much $subject: Why doesn't Koschei kick of
>> real builds off packages on dependency changes? From my naive POV that
>> looks like the missing piece to give us the "OBS-experience". Having
>> that at least in Rawhide sounds like a good thing to me.
>
> It *might* be a good idea to help deal with rebuilds, but I see some
> problems with that.
>
> - koschei would need to add "rebuilt by koschei" commits to dist-git
> for this (OBS doesn't have a real VCS, so it's not a problem there)

This is the part that I don't really get: why do we need to have a
commit for each rebuild? Just to bump the release field?

Wouldn't it be completely sufficient to let koji handle this via one of
the schemes that Igor and Neal presented at Flock 2019?

(This is probably naive, but from my usage of OBS I have never
encountered the case that I miss having a commit on each rebuild)

> - those changes would add a lot of churn to .spec files, possibly
> angering a lot of packagers, and would also create possible conflicts
> between local changes and koschei builds

This wouldn't be a problem if we could get rid of the "rebuild on
commit" requirement and make this opt-in at first.

> - the builds add a lot of load to koji already (although at lower
> priority), which will probably be a problem when there's reduced
> capacity (e.g. the upcoming datacenter move)

This is indeed an issue that I was afraid of.