On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 13:03, Brian C. Lane <b...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 08:54:42PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> access
> new AAA
> API in
> > >
> > > "AAA"?
> > >
> > > I find it good to go with the Economist (a newspaper) style guide
> > > which invites writers to define every term before use.
> > >
> > > Rich.
> >
> > Triple A is a well known term.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(computer_security)
> >

> https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/configuration/general/asa-96-general-config/aaa-local.html
> >
> > Unless I didn't get you joking.
>
> That may be true, but whenever I see it mentioned I have no idea what it
> means. For example, here in the US we have the AAA - American Automobile
> Association (http://aaa.com) so as a name for a new project it's really
> overloaded in my brain.
>
> Why not paint the shed FASv2 :)

The project name is NOT AAA. It is Noggin. The current FAS is actually
Version 2. There was a FAS3 project for about 10 years that got put aside
over and over again due to other priorities. Since the original FAS as a
sort of anti-kerberos/anti-ldap and this is actually a bunch of covers to
kerberos/ldap it felt insulting to call this FAS4. So a completely
different name was decided on.

That said, I agree we shouldn't use three letter acronym's without
definitions.. the problem is that the terms Authentication, Authorization
and Accounting for AAA have been in use at various level since I think the
1990's in security circles and if you are working that all the time, you
just short cut it. [The original use I heard in the early 1990s' of AAA was
a joke on the fact that it was as ubiquitous as AAA in road services and
you probably ended up in AA if you worked too much on it. ]

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.