On 22/05/20 10:47 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 22. 05. 20 8:28, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 22/05/20 03:06 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
Hello, in order to deliver Python 3.9, we are running a coordinated rebuild in a side tag.

   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python3.9

If you see a "Rebuilt for Python 3.9" (or similar) commit in your package, please don't rebuild it in regular rawhide.
If you need to, please let me know, so we can coordinate.

I need to start doing the Boost 1.73.0 rebuilds in a boost side tag,
but I can wait until you've done it for Python.

How long do you expect it to take before your side tag is merged back
to rawhide?

From https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python3.9

2020-05-30: Expected side tag-merge (optimistic)
2020-06-18: Expected side tag-merge (realistic)
2020-07-18: Expected side tag-merge (pessimistic)

Ouch.

When do you need to start building?

I was going to start this week, but that didn't happen (and I probably
won't start today). I would have tried to complete most of it next week
though, and merge the week after, to get done before the data centre
move reduces capacity on the builders.

The mid-June date would be OK, but it would take longer due to reduced
capacity.

Waiting until mid-July would be a problem though, there's no way I
could do it before the mass rebuild (so I might as well not bother
using aside tag and just dump it in rawhide and let the mass rebuild
find all the problems).

I think I will just do the rebuilds using my own PC and report bugs in
the packages that FTBFS with the new boost, so that when I do the
builds in the side tag things go more smoothly.

There are two changes I'd like to do before you start, which I can
push today:

1) libboost_python3.so.1.69.0 currently links to libpython3.8.so which
is contrary to Boost upstream, and also contrary to guidance from
Python upstream (https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12946).  The
Fedora patches to do that are fragile (and one of the main reasons I
couldn't get new Boost releases to build for Fedora, and didn't update
it in F31 or F32). So I'd like to drop those patches.

2) I'd also like to include boost-python3 in the boost metapackage, as
suggested at
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/B4LDABNDO7E3PH263ZU6ZR4SLP6WMNCJ/#JOSRJAUDXN56TQJPAXKFPIFA3SDS4GIZ

With those patches in rawhide our boost-python3 package will be better
even if for some reason I have to abandon the update to Boost 1.73.0
(which is unlikely, because I've already got all the spec file changes
and scratch build done locally).

So can I push those before you rebuild in the side tag?