On Friday, May 29, 2020 5:25:23 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 6:06 PM John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense.
>

> Disliking the story is not the same thing as it not making sense.
> There isn't much I can do about the former, but if you have a specific
> area where there is a lack of clarity, I'll try to clear it up.

It's not that I don't like anything about this, it just doesn't seem to match
the reality of the situation.

> >You can test hibernation right
> > now, and it will work. When you boot back up, it'll have everything just
> > as you left it. What systems is it broken on, those with Secure Boot?
>
> Not broken, disabled. That's the policy both upstream and in Fedora.

Then why not just re-enable it? Why in the world is it disabled? If it's
disabled, why did it work when I ran `systemctl hibernate`? Why does it work
with KDE Spin out of box?

> > I've just taken a Lenovo T500, installed GNOME Workstation and gone into
> > hibernation. It took about 30 seconds to boot back in, but I was right
> > where I left off. What exactly is broken, and for what portion of users?
>

> I don't know  the Lenovo T500 firmware setup defaults. If it conforms
> to Microsoft Windows (8 or later) hardware certification
> specifications, then UEFI Secure Boot is enabled by default. And it
> mean you changed the defaults to get the results you're experiencing,
> thereby disabling a  significant feature the Fedora invested
> significant resources to explicitly support.

The Lenovo T500 is one of the first or second generation EFI devices. The only
settings that have been changed is the disabling of PXE and setting a boot
settings password.  I have access to some newer hardware that has Secure Boot
that I can test with. I'll go and snag one of those now, and get a test
install of Workstation going.

I asked above, but  it wasn't answered, and your answer to this has me a bit
confused. Is Secure Boot the issue that is blocking resume from working
properly? If so, I can ensure that Secure Boot is enabled on the hardware that
supports it, and try hibernation there.

Regardless, if that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to keep
hibernation available in the UI where it's supported well, the systems without
Secure Boot? A trivial check for that could be false if BIOS, and false if
efivars doesn't show that it was booted with secure boot.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity