On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 11:14 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 03:53:26PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > == Detailed Description ==
> > By default php-fpm is used for a few versions. mod_php is not
> > supported for threaded modules. mod_php usage also increases security
> > risk, sharing the same process than httpd.
> >
> > Drop mod_php from php build. This will only affect user of httpd in
> > "prefork" mode, which will also use php-fpm.
> >
> > php-fpm is already used but most users of httpd and nginx without any issue.
>
> Based on the replies downthread, it seems that some people are still
> using it and want to keep it...

While I can most definitely sympathize with anyone who will have to
reconfigure servers that were set up years ago, the reality of the
matter is that mod_php is still being used because there's a ton of
guides out there blindly copying over instructions and configuration
snippets for years. The complexity of the stack is such that people
are still oblivious of php-fpm nearly a decade after its introduction.
Security issues aside, a medium-size web server using mod_php will
require roughly 100 times the memory used for the same number of
threads with php-fpm. This is a complete waste of resources. The only
real-world application where it makes sense to prefer mod_php over
php-fpm is a server dedicated to serving only php - no CSS, images,
HTML or anything else. I'd argue this use case is quite rare nowadays.