On Friday, June 5, 2020 11:12:10 AM MST Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 2:09 PM John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Friday, June 5, 2020 10:49:52 AM MST Chris Murphy wrote:

> > > Already discussed in the 'support hibernation' thread.
> > >

> > > Most laptops today have UEFI Secure Boot enabled by default and
> > > therefore hibernation isn't possible. And even when the laptop doesn't
> > > have Secure Boot enabled, there's a forest of bugs. It works for some
> > > people and not others. It was working for me on one laptop in
> > > February, consistently doesn't work now and I haven't gotten a reply
> > > yet from upstream about the problem.
> >

> > It may be true that most laptops have "Secure Boot" enabled, but not
> > those
> > running Fedora. We don't have numbers to support that claim, and most
> > devices require "Secure Boot" to be disabled,  or to have the mode
> > changed so that it accepts new keys, to install Fedora.
> >

> This is not true. Fedora installs perfectly fine on Secure
> Boot-enabled systems without any change to the enrolled keys. Our shim
> package is signed by a key that has been required to be trusted for
> virtually all x86 PCs for the past several years.
>
> The *only* case where Secure Boot must be disabled for the proper
> functioning of a PC today is if you use the NVIDIA proprietary
> drivers, because nobody is helping RPM Fusion set up a mechanism to
> sign their driver and load the key into the kernel for trust.

Most of the "Secure Boot" hardware I've gotten my hands on have been early
generations, up to some produced in 2015. I've had to change the mode to
"deployment" on some HP ProDesk systems in order to get it to install Fedora,
for example. I can't speak for the most recent generations, but I remain
skeptical due to the "lockdown" functionality breaking everything.

Other times you'd need to do so are when you'd like hibernation support, any
out of tree modules such as ZFS, kexec, hot patching..

--
John M. Harris, Jr.