Igor Raits wrote:
> The change says it will use 50% of user’s RAM size, but not more than
> 4G.

But if the machine has only, say, 4 GiB of RAM, then the amount of extra RAM
you get that way might not be sufficient to avoid OOM.

> On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 08:54 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Also -1 to adding something to the core system that is written in a
>> language
>> for which we do not even have dynamic linking support. Or even real
>> static
>> linking support, as opposed to packaging libraries as source code.
>
> This is not fair. It is a programming language that is safer than C and
> is already used by some projects that we ship. rpm-ostree, firefox,
> librsvg2 and others.

1. librsvg2 and firefox are not really core system components. They are
   UI-related packages (an image processing library and a web browser),
   which is at least one layer higher.
2. rpm-ostree is only a core system component if you use an ostree-based
   installation. In the default Fedora system, it is not.
3. I think that it is a bad enough precedent that even these packages are
   using Rust. We do not have a reasonable way to package software written
   in Rust. Packaging libraries as source code is not reasonable in a binary
   distribution. (And yes, I was opposed to the Go packaging guidelines from
   day 1, and the Rust packaging guidelines copy the same broken concepts,
   so I am opposed to those as well.) As a result, shipping Rust software in
   Fedora is very painful, because everything is essentially statically
   linked (actually compiled on demand at application compile time and then
   statically linked into the application).
4. The Rust toolchain is also inherently foreign on Fedora because it is not
   based on GCC (but on LLVM).

Core system components should be written in C. The higher layers (UI, extra
CLI tools, etc.) can use C++ as well. IMHO, any other programming language
is just a pain.

        Kevin Kofler