On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 02:19 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
> > So yes it's well suited for these cases and the proposal does
> > include
> > them. If they wish to be left out, that's up to those working
> > groups.
> > It's possible to make sure /etc/systemd/zram-generator is not
> > present.
>
> Also, why does this have to be a systemd generator? As a user
> administrating
> his own systems, I find those to be extremely annoying, because they
> do
> stuff behind my back that I never asked to happen and I have to mask
> them
> (and/or uninstall them completely) to get rid of the unwanted
> behavior.
>
> E.g., the systemd generator that tries to automount partitions not
> listed in
> fstab based on their GPT UUIDs is just broken. If I do not have the
> partition in the fstab, I left it out for a reason (e.g., the swap
> partition
> I have on my SSD in case I ever need it, which is normally NOT
> mounted to
> avoid wearing out the SSD). So why does systemd want to second-guess
> me and
> mount that partition behind my back unless I go out of my way to mask
> the
> magic generator?
>
> So why can this zram feature not be a line in fstab, a parameter
> passed
> through the kernel CLI, or some other solution that is easily
> tweakable and
> that will definitely not affect upgrades of existing installations
> (unlike
> yet another systemd generator, if it happens to get installed for
> whatever
> reason)?
>
> IMHO, the only systemd generator that should ever mount partitions of
> any
> kind (including virtual ones such as zram) is the systemd-fstab-
> generator.
> If you want more stuff mounted, it should be added to /etc/fstab,
> that's
> what that file is for!

Well, with systemd.mount it is already possible to mount things that
are not in /etc/fstab. That file has same disadvantages as any other
configuration files in «unstructured» format. You can't override some
specific setting of it, disable some mount by simple command (that is
not sed) and so on.

Also if AIUI, it is not trivial to make it work with just fstab because
something has to create a swap during the boot and fstab entry clearly
can't do that.

>         Kevin Kofler
- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org>