On 6/11/20 8:37 AM, Robert Relyea wrote:
On 4/23/20 11:16 AM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:11:25AM +0200, Daiki Ueno wrote:
Hello,

I am not sure if this deserves a Fedora Change proposal, so I'd like to
hear any opinions first before proceeding with the process.

NSS (the crypto library used by Firefox) historically supports 2
database formats: SQLite and DBM.  The latter is considered legacy and
we switched the default database format to SQLite in F28[1]. Since then
I presume most of the applications have switched to the new format.
Therefore we are planning to phase out the support of DBM, targetting
F33+.
How will that effect people who have been upgrading since before F28?
Will the DBM database be transitioned to SQLite (or has it already)?

It depends on how the database was used. NSS automatically updates to the new format if:

1) the database is opened R/W, and

2) the user has authenticated to the database (logged into to it). If the database has no password, then only (1) is required.

Most use cases will, most likely, have caused the above changes. Firefox would have triggered a login anytime the user first needs to access tha master password list.  Thunderbird and servers would have triggered those conditions when the certificate was renewed.

If you aren't sure, you can manually force an update on any fedora version before F33 with the following command:

certutil -K -X -d {directory_of_nss_database}
If you are running on a system pre-F28, you need to add sql: before the {directory_of_nss_database}. This should work on any system built since 2005.

and supply the password when prompted.

bob