On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 15:20 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/IBus_1.5.23
>
> == Summary ==
> IBus 1.5.23 will replace the allowlist of XKB engines with the
> blocklist of XKB ones.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:Fujiwara| Takao Fujiwara]]
> * Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
>
> == Detailed Description ==
> IBus currently provides the allowlist of XKB engines in
> `/usr/share/ibus/component/simple.xml` and `ibus-setup` utility can
> show the XKB engines indicated in only that file in most desktops.
> (gnome-control-center shows XKB list from gnome-desktop3 in GNOME
> desktop instead.) The allowlist includes the limited XKB layouts and
> variants. E.g. 'gb(dvorak)' is included but 'gb' is not. And the
> allowlist has been supported to customize by sysadmin localy since
> the
> simple.xml is a simple text file and the default list has been
> updated
> upon the request.
>
> IBus 1.5.23 will replace the allowlist with the blocklist which
> includes the disabled XKB engines and `ibus-setup` will shows all the
> XKB engines which are '''not''' indicated in that file.  The
> blocklist
> will includes 'cn' layout, 'cn' layout + any variants, 'nec_vndr/jp'
> layouts at the moment.
>
> I.e. the change won't effect GNOME desktop.

So I do not fully understand this change. Is it actually breaking
something or not? If so, I am surprised it happens when bumping micro
version (.23). If not, does it have to be System-Wide change?

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
> The users don't have to request the desired XKB layouts and variants
> in IBus upstream and most XKB keymaps will be shown in ibus-setup.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> * Other developers: N/A
> * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9563 #9563]
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> If a keymap is shown in ibus-setup in the previous version, it will
> be
> shown in the new one.
>
> == How To Test ==
> # Log into XFCE desktop
> # Run ibus-setup
>
> It will show 'English (UK)' keymap by default.
>
> == User Experience ==
> If a user customize `/usr/share/ibus/component/simple.xml` in the
> previous version, the file will be replaced with new one.

I think it is pretty much expected that if you modify something in
/usr, it will be overriden by an update, no?

> == Dependencies ==
> The change effects XKB engines only but does not input method engines
> (E.g. libpinyin, hangul, and so on.)
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
> * Contingency mechanism: Drop the feature in Fedora 33 and postpone
> it
> to Fedora 34
> * Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
> * Blocks release? No
>
> == Documentation ==
> TBD
>

> --
> Ben Cotton
> He / Him / His
> Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream
> Red Hat
> TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis
- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org>