On Mi, 01.07.20 17:19, Javier Martinez Canillas (jav...@dowhile0.org) wrote:

> > Note that the spec has extension points (i.e. it's permissible to add
> > new fields without this breaking the spec), but turning it into a
> > programming lnaguage is waaaay outside of it...
> >

> I wouldn't consider adding variable expansion support to turn them
> into a programming language. But yes, you are right that we diverged
> from the spec and that caused issues to other bootloaders (i.e: I had
> this same conversation with the LinuxBoot folks).
>
> But rather than keep pointing out what we got wrong, I would prefer to
> figure out how to make the GRUB implementation to align with the spec
> while still supporting all the features that are available in a
> non-BLS configuration. This could also allow to have a single
> kernel-install plugin instead of having specific plugins for
> GRUB/Petitboot and zipl.

Please submit additions to the spec as PRs to systemd github. We added
a number of new keys in the past that sd-boot itself doesn't make use
of (devicetree and such), and we'd be delighted to add more if they
make sense and that helps.

i.e. PRs against this file:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/docs/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION.md

Thank you,