>Killing users' programs needlessly is not welcome

Setting limits for cgroup (MemoryMax, MemorySwapMax) leads to "Killing
users' programs needlessly": system-wide available memory may be not
exhausted, but OOM killer will be invoked in this cgroup.

>The goal is to ensure the kernel can keep doing its job, it's
>not going to try to figure out what you intend for userspace, as well it
>shouldn't.

The goal is to ensure the kernel can keep doing its job *and userspace*
doing its job. I don't need a system where the kernel is alive, but
userspace is dead.