Germano Massullo <germano.massu...@gmail.com> writes:

> All desktop oriented Fedora installers install on the system packages:
> hunspell
> hunspell-en
> hunspell-en-GB
> hunspell-en-US
>
> When a user opens the language list of the spell checker, is has ~24
> different English options, like English (Antigua and Barbuda), English
> (Australia), English (Bahamas), English (Belize), etc. (See screenshot [1])
> People who are not native English speakers have this list even bigger
> because they will have their own language entry, plus others.
>
> Since the huge list is brought by hunspell-en, can we just ship Fedora
> with hunspell-en-GB and hunspell-en-US ?
> Another option could be to move all non GB/USA English variants to other
> hunspell-en-* packages as I said in ticket [2]

There's some disparity between your subject (stop shipping all non
US/UK) and the bug (separate packaging).  I care not for packaging, but
I care a lot about locales being present.  A personal anecdote:

I'm a native English speaker.  My partner is a native English speaker.
We can mostly use each other's computers - with the exception of
anything that uses spellcheck.  This is because we grew up needing
different locales, and (surprise) they're not on your list.  It's a
frustrating and surprisingly hostile experience for the computer to flag
random words that you typed with "WRONG" - words that you know you
spelled right and were completely sure were correct but now have to
question.

We have these different English variations for a reason.  By all means,
make the spellchecker default to your current locale.  But don't make
this harder for the rest of us.  Somewhere along the line we acquired
this idea that "eh, anyone can do work in en_US" and that's really not
true - but it is self-fulfilling.

I would love it if I could ssh to machines and have my preferred locale
present, but we don't seem to be in that future.  We localized,
performed all these translations, and it feels like we want to undo all
that work in the name of minimization.  While we're having other
discussions about inclusion, let's not forget the value in having the
computer speak your language.

Thanks,
--Robbie