On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<domi...@greysector.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 08 July 2020 at 15:19, Igor Raits wrote:
> > >
> > > +1. The new Cmake macros behaviour must be backported to EPEL7/8.
> >
> > Feel free to submit patches to cmake3 and epel-rpm-macros.
>
> Sorry, but when you break other packagers workflows, the least you can
> do is provide a clean solution to make them work again. Making a change
> and telling affected people to "fix it themselves" is just not
> excellent.

There is a build for cmake3 with backported macros in testing:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2020-a911888c3e

It just needs karma to make it to stable.

> > > Currently all fixed by proven packages SPEC files cannot be built on
> > > EPEL branches.
>
> A better way would have been to introduce a new macro and migrate all
> packages to it gradually. Then, after giving a sufficient grace period,
> at some point you could make the old macro error out pointing to
> current documentation.
>
> Currently, I have top adapt all my cmake-using specs that were doing
> out-of-tree builds across Fedora and EPEL using the %cmake3 macro.
>
> This doesn't work anymore:
>
> mkdir -p build
> cd build
> %cmake3 \
>     ..
> %make_build
>
> And that makes me grumpy unless you can provide a clean way to make
> this work again across Fedora and EPEL without any %ifdefs.

Well, right now I'm trying to figure out how to implement this for
EPEL 8. The trouble is that EPEL 8 has CMake 3.11, which doesn't have
everything I need to do this properly, so I'm trying to come up with
something still.

As it is, for now, you can revert to the old behavior by putting in your spec

%global __cmake_in_source_build 1

and the %cmake macro will behave exactly like before, requiring manual
effort to do an out of source build.

Also note that this variable is set for EPEL and current supported
Fedora releases. It is *unset* for Fedora 33+.