On 09/17/2010 05:05 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 17 September 2010 13:36, Arthur Pemberton<pem...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Wouldn't that require the tool to download every package just to get
>> the embedded information.
> Yes, that's what my generator tool does. Of course, it only downloads
> the packages that contain .desktop files (which we can tell from the
> metadata) otherwise that would take more than ages.

That could actually even done by createrepo - just in case it runs too
fast already. It has to open all the binary rpms anyway and could just
sweep through the file list and then - if there are files of interest -
open the payload and unpack the content of the desktop files. I have
some basic support for reading the pkg content in MY generator tool. May
be that can go into the rpm Python binding or some of the yum helper
modules.

Florian