On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 1:38 PM Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:

> On 8/8/20 3:52 AM, Christopher wrote:
> > Does anybody know what the current state of media key support is in
> > F32 / Gnome / systemd?
> > Is it currently broken?
>
> It works great.

That wasn't my experience, but knowing it works for others helps me
narrow down whether the problem is on my end or not.

> > I recently bought a Logitech MK270 wireless mouse/keyboard (pretty
> > common), which has a "power" media key, which seems to put my Fedora
> > 32 system to sleep, and it doesn't seem to be possible to disable it
> > in Gnome or in systemd-logind settings. It's possible I'm doing
> > something wrong, but I'm now questioning whether this is just broken
> > in Fedora right now, since nothing I've tried works.
>
> That sounds to me like it's doing exactly what it should.  What are you
> expecting it to do?  If you go into the Gnome settings Power panel, you
> could try changing the power key action, but that might only affect the
> hard power button on the case.  An alternative is to use dconf-editor
> and change the suspend key setting in
> /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/.

What I was expecting was the ability to disable it. After your
response, and another half hour of troubleshooting, I have learned
that:

1. There is no GUI to change the setting.
2. The logind.conf settings have no effect on the media keys.
3. The key is XF86Sleep (and not XF86Suspend).
4. The key is assigned to the 'suspend-static' behavior in
dconf-editor / gsettings
5. Changing the assignment in dconf-editor / gsettings requires
logging out and back in to take effect
And most importantly,
6. It is *not* enough to assign the XF86Sleep button to another action
in the keyboard shortcuts. You have to *also* remove it from the
'suspend-static' action, or it will suspend the computer instead of
performing the other assigned action.

This last bit was the part that was the most frustrating, since
everything else I did had no effect. Now that I have unassociated
'XF86Sleep' from the 'suspend-static' action, I can now re-assign it
to do other things.

Thanks for the sanity check and for setting me on the right path. This
isn't a great user experience, but at least it is *possible* to
configure things the way I want.