* Michael Catanzaro:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 5:18 pm, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> But the DNS view provided by the Red Hat VPN is what disables the
>> centralized DNS resolvers in browsers in these configurations.  The
>> magic browser probe no longer fails with the change in DNS routing
>> (which the proposal confusingly names “Split DNS”) because it goes
>> out over the public Internet, where it is not filtered, unlike the
>> Red Hat VPN.
>
> Hm, I'm pretty sure this is a Firefox-specific issue, right? Fedora's
> Firefox is patched to use system DNS, so it shouldn't matter for us.
> I'm not aware of any other browser that ignores system DNS; at least,
> I'm fairly certain Chrome and Epiphany will both never do this.

It seems that you are right about Chromium:

| We have no plans to support this approach. We believe that our
| deployment model is significantly different from Mozilla's, and as a
| result canary domains won't be needed.

<https://www.chromium.org/developers/dns-over-https>

However, you wrote earlier that “split DNS” is not available over
nss_dns, so I think Chromium is still impacted because it uses the same
interfaces that nss_dns would use in this mode (i.e., not nss_resolve).

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill