On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:51 am, Ian Pilcher <arequip...@gmail.com> wrote:
I anticipated this question.  I don't have a good proposal for you ...
but I believe that it's up to the people advocating/implementing this
change to come up with that.  If it isn't possible to automate this
change in a reliable way, maybe it shouldn't be automated.

Of course it's impossible. :P The only way to guess whether NetworkManager generated the file is to check if it says "NetworkManager" at the top. There's no way to be certain.

Anyway, if you don't like this heuristic, we could decide to always delete /etc/resolv.conf. The only other alternative I can think of would be to leave it unchanged, such that upgraded systems don't get fully migrated to systemd-resolved, but that's not a good option.