On Mon, 28 Sep 2020, Lennart Poettering wrote:

stuff that doesn't come from classic Internet DNS cannot
possibly be DNSSEC validated.

This statement is incorrect. Please read RFC 8598 and perhaps
read up on the handling of Special Use Domain Names and DNSSEC
validation. No one expects .local to be signed. This is not
an actual problem. You are not unique. Participate at the IETF,
write and implement new RFCs that fix your current issues.

If you expect a full blown DNS server
on port 53 then it's not what systemd-resolved is or strives to be.

For non-local queries, that is exactly what applications expect and depend on.

So far we side-step the DO issue by returning a clean error when
clients set DO: "not implemented"

That is not what I see:

paul@thinkpad:~)$ dig +dnssec nohats.ca @127.0.0.53

; <<>> DiG 9.11.22-RedHat-9.11.22-1.fc33 <<>> +dnssec nohats.ca @127.0.0.53
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

I get NOERROR, so you should file another systemd-resolved bug report if
the expected behaviour was NOTIMP.

But even so, DNS libraries getting NOTIMP will just try
to go to the next server listed in resolv.conf but there is only
127.0.0.53, so it fails. So you do not "side step" this issue at all.
Implementing NOTIMP will change nothing.

, plus a log message in syslog with
more info. I'd argue that for the vast majority of users this is
perfectly enough.

This is again redefining the use cases and pre-selecting the type
of users you wish to support and punting everything not in your use
case to the "you are the advanced user, you know how to work around
this".

I was an enduser with a laptop dead in the water. It did not matter
how advanced I am or not. It should not happen, and the fix is not
for me to read syslog messages, google for documentation and then
manually fix my system. My system should not break.

Because IRL client-side DNSSEC doesn't really exist
outside of some very specific circles of DNS nerds, I guess. Yes, I
dare to suggest that for your typical GNOME/Fedora Workstation it
really doesn't matter.

This is a very outdated view.

I understand that some people want DNSSEC/DO stuff work client side
just like that, and as mentioned we'll add that, but let's not pretend
this was "obvious" and without pitfalls of its own.

I told you five years ago in Brno at a meeting organized to specifically
talk about DNSSEC at the client side these exact same things. Let's not
pretend I and others did not raise these issues then already.

I understand some loud people here consider Internet DNS the true gospel, and
mDNS and
LLMNR and all kinds of other forms of popular name resolution, local
and remote heresy

As I suggested in previous emails, stop inventing your personal wheel
and go get informed at the IETF about work being done in this space by
the main vendors. I've listed the working groups, the drafts and the
vendors. Raise any issues you think you have with respect to mDNS, LLMNR
and what not. Work with others to define a functional protocol and
implementation. Then push it first in fedora and I will happilly be
dead in the water and report bugs and submit patches.

Until we implement the DO-bypass stuff

It is not acceptable to break all f33+ and rhel9/centos9 servers "until
you implement" whatever it is you need to implement to violate 15+ year
old DNS RFCs at the low priority you assign this bug baesd on your
selective use cases.

This will be my last email in this thread.

Paul