On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 09:55:53AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Why don't you add an lldb-add-index tool to generate LLVM indexes for
> > LLDB? Then we just invoke it as part of the buildroot policy setup and
> > get both GDB and LLDB indexes? This proposal seems to be particularly
> > destructive to GDB users to favor LLDB.
>
> You can use:
>
>   set index-cache on
>
> Then GDB will automatically cache generated indices under ~/.cache/gdb.
>
> Do other DWARF consumers benefit from these indices today (e.g., perf)?

Not sure if today, but they certainly could.
If/when we switch to DWARF5 by default (hopefully F34), it would be nice to
also switch from .gdb_index to .debug_names, but it would be great if the
.debug_names some tool generates (whether it is GDB, some standalone
post-linking (and post dwz) tool, dwz itself, ...) is usable by both GDB and
LLDB, because the point in DWARF5 standardizing .debug_names was to make
those usable by everything rather than each tool rolling its own index.
We can't have two .debug_names sections, one for GDB and one for LLDB...

        Jakub