Turns out the problem for my package is this weird ol' dependency chain:

   coccinelle -> git -> cvs -> xinetd

Well the first part of that is understandable, because Cocci uses git
to apply patches (ie. autosetup -S git).

cvs -> xinetd is sort of understandable too.

git -> cvs however(!)  It turns out that git has a cvs import
subpackage.  But I wonder if git actually needs cvs around at build
time to create this?  I commented out the BR: cvs, cvsps lines in the
spec file and it built a cvs import subpackage just fine for me.

Yes, see this note in the email:

===== NOTE about xinetd =====

Many packagers are listed as affected by xinetd. The dependency chain is:

    cvs (kasal, ppisar)
        cvs-inetd.noarch requires xinetd

    git (amahdal, besser82, chrisw, pcahyna, pstodulk, skisela, tmz)
        git.src requires cvs
        git-cvs.noarch requires cvs

    <everything else> (<everybody else>)
        <package> requires git

Note that if xinetd indeed goes away, your package will most likely not be
affected, unless you actually need git-cvs or cvs-inetd.

Also note that if your package uses git, it might just (Build)Require git-core
(or /usr/bin/git) instaed of full blown git package (with dependencies on Perl
and Python).

===== end NOTE =====

--
Miro Hrončok