On 11/23/20 10:30 AM, Andreas Tunek wrote:

Den lör 21 nov. 2020 kl 15:31 skrev James Szinger <jszin...@gmail.com <mailto:jszin...@gmail.com>>:

    On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:35:19 -0600
    Brandon Nielsen <niels...@jetfuse.net <mailto:niels...@jetfuse.net>>
    wrote:
     > If it has changed, it would be really great if pipewire-pulse could
     > make it into the F33 repos so it could be easily tested.

    I agree.  I think new software should be available and testable on a
    stable Fedora release before it becomes default.  I’m not ready to
    have a rawhide install on real hardware to test something that’s not
    ready yet.  I am especially wary of a change that requires new
    software to be written between now and beta.

I think this is a way too high burden on new features. Testing in rawhide should be enough. Something like pipewire is also pretty easy to test in a Live system.

[Snip]

Easy to test basic things like sound works, headphones work, output device changing works. Much more difficult to test every audio use-case I use in a given day, week, month, because needs and uses change so much. Am I using my Bluetooth headphones today? A USB audio interface? Webcam? HDMI? Plus I work across different systems with almost entirely different hardware. I may be willing to run Rawhide on some of these systems, but most people probably won't.

I'm not saying this should necessarily be a mandate. But for something completely fundamental to how a lot of people use their systems, especially now, with such a wide array of hardware and uses, we should absolutely be pursuing the widest possible test coverage. And right now, the only answers are "it works in rawhide" and "it will be feature complete later".