(Just to be clear before I start, I was not involved in the decision
process for yesterday's announcement.)

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 10:29 PM Sergio Belkin <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> How does this (https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/)
> affect Fedora?

The short version: it doesn't.

The long version: CentOS Stream is downstream of Fedora. Where there
used to be a big leap between Fedora and RHEL, CentOS Stream provides
a bridge. A bridge that allows community contribution to RHEL.

Think of it this way:
Current Fedora -> RHEL 9
Current CentOS Stream -> RHEL 8.4

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:16 AM Christoph Karl <pampelm...@gmx.at> wrote:

> I think Fedora now needs some kind of LTS.
> At least I was planning to support CentOS via EPEL as
> a kind of "Fedora LTS".

This comes up every so often, but I don't see it happening. If nothing
else, you're putting a maintenance burden on every package maintainer
to continue providing updates for whatever definition of "long-term"
we come up with. As many maintainers contribute on a volunteer basis
(even many of us who are Red Hat employees don't maintain Fedora
packages as part of our day job), this is a big burden to ask. We
already see signs of the package maintenance burden becoming too high,
this would only make it worse.

There's also the question of fit. While it's not impossible to be
leading edge and provide long-term support at the same time, it's
certainly not easy. Beyond package maintenance, there would be
additional demands on QA, websites, release engineering, etc to
provide a consistent experience over a long-term support lifecycle.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 8:10 AM Jaroslav Prokop <jar.pro...@volny.cz> wrote:

> While I personally think that Fedora should uphold mainly its philosophy
> of being the
> "pioneer" of new releases, I feel that then I would miss a production
> ready, free and long term supported system
> from the ecosystem of RHEL/Fedora.

I agree wholeheartedly. CentOS Linux filled a valuable niche in the
ecosystem. But Fedora is not the place to replace it.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His