On 2020-12-18 11:13 a.m., Robbie Harwood wrote:
clime <cl...@fedoraproject.org> writes:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 18:20, Robbie Harwood <rharw...@redhat.com> wrote:
Robert-André Mauchin <zebo...@gmail.com> writes:

On 12/18/20 3:52 PM, James Szinger wrote:
No.  One can also download the sources from upstream using spectool or
similar, even wget or curl.  My local work flow is typically get or
create spec file and patches, spectool -g, rpmbuild -bs, mock.

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but why do people still use rpmbuild -bs
instead of using a fedpkg mockbuild? You get a clean environment to
build and you don't have to install tons of devel packages on your system.
For me it's speed.  Yes, mock gives a clean environment, but I'd rather
not use it if I don't have to: the tradeoff is I don't have to *wait*
for the mock to go get the tons of devel packages (and generally for
repo/dnf slowness) - they're already installed on my system.
But you have fedpkg installed, right? I think fedpkg srpm should do a
good job as well.
Probably, but that wasn't the question - the question was about
mockbuild.

Thanks,
--Robbie
Mockbuild stores packages in /var/lib/mock and will skip those already downloaded. You can configure dnf (slowness is a illusion because the package manager does many task as verify the security and possible update packages) to only use cache when needed at the cost of getting outdated packages. Make sure to select the fastest mirror for effectiveness
--

Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Design Team