On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 20:40 -0500, Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020, Scott Talbert wrote:
>
> > > Neal and I are looking at getting ButterManager packaged, and it
> > > depends on sip and PyQt5-sip:
> > >

> > > https://github.com/egara/buttermanager/blob/master/requirements.txt

[snip]
> > > Any idea what's the best way to handle this? and/or why PyQt5-
> > > sip's
> > > versioning get so far ahead of sip?
> >
> > I think fundamentally the version of PyQt5-sip probably needs to
> > match (or be
> > very close to) the version of sip that PyQt5 itself was compiled
> > with.

So it looks like with sip 5, PyQt5-sip is now published separately ..
with sip 4, PyQt5-sip has a matching version number, but the package
provides an API that is version 12.7. Confusing!

> > Also, it seems a bit odd that ButterManager requires PyQt5-
> > sip>=12.7.0, but
> > only requires sip>=4.19.8 (ie, a MUCH older version of sip).  You
> > might want
> > to just try patching that out and/or inquire with upstream about
> > whether that
> > version dependency is correct.

Upstream clarified and it turns out they don't actually depend on sip.
And they don't need to depend directly on PyQt5-sip either, PyQt5
automatically pulls it in.

> Looking at the history...it almost looks like these dependencies were
> added due to a packaging bug in PyQt5 in Arch Linux?? [1]
>
> [1] https://github.com/egara/buttermanager/issues/13

Yup, thanks!
> So it seems like the PyQt5-sip and sip dependencies really shouldn't
> be
> there as ButterManager doesn't use them itself (that I can tell).

We do need a strategy for how to eventually switch to the standalone
PyQt5-sip, but that can wait for when we rebase PyQt5 and KDE to it I
guess.

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim