On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 10:49 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> > that bug is already inconvenient for some people; if they have laptops
> > with bad lid switches it'd be much more inconvenient. The only active
> > display would be the external display they weren't actually using.
>
> I read that bugzilla as it's a driver bug.. so it'll get fixed at some point.

Not really; the driver isn't able to detect if connected monitors are
turned on. It's not clear if this is really *theoretically* possible,
which is why the report's been closed. And it doesn't cover the case
where a connected monitor is powered on but not actually being used for
the computer.

> We should define "policy" based on wanted behaviour, not based on various
> bugs out there.. Bugs need to be fixed, and then the policy works like it's
> expected.

In theory, yeah, but in practice, we can't take this to extremes if it
means we wind up with people staring at blank screens with no apparent
explanation.

> atm we're lacking a policy regarding these laptop lid/dock things.
> Ie. there's no daemon/script even trying to do the right thing..
>
> (drm/kms driver guys have made it clear the "policy" has to be decided and
> set up by userspace).
>
> For the "transition period" we could have a boot/grub menu item
> that automatically enables the "old behaviour" for people who have
> hardware with buggy bios/drivers. Just like we have the "safe (vesa)
> graphics"
> boot option on install CDs.
>
> Does this make sense?

No, not really, parameters aren't magic, they can only do things if the
drivers / userspace utilities are written with these parameters in mind.
I don't believe there's any such framework at present, and besides, we
want to have *fewer* icky bootloader menu workarounds, really, not more.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey