On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 12:47 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean here...
>
> I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) you are wanting "all EPEL
> packages" to also be built as part of ELN and shipped as some sort of
> 'EPEL-ELN' ?

Yes, the idea I had in mind was that each package that currenty has an
"epel8" branch would also get an "epeln" branch that would be built
against ELN. Then when ELN branches into CentOS Stream, the epeln
branches could be used as the starting point for the corresponding EPEL
release.

> The main problem with this is that "all EPEL packages" is not a
> defined
> set like ELN is. EPEL is not a specific collection of packages. It's
> packages which have maintainers that wish to maintain them. For this
> (and other) reasons we have never mass branched epel, we have always
> let
> maintainers branch when they wish to support that branch.
>
> I'm not sure if there's a way around this... I suppose we could try
> and
> collect a list of packages where maintainer(s) always want to branch
> them, but that would need to be a living document/list and would
> probibly be hard to keep up to date.

Yeah, that's a good point. To be clear, I was not proposing to do this
for all Fedora packages, just for the ones that were already present in
the current EPEL.

Cheers
Davide