I'm looking to package some GTK themes. Those themes come in several colour
variants. The author decided on a workflow where, instead of keeping variants
alongside each other in the tree, each variant has its own git branch.

When working with git snapshots, the packaging guidelines [1] say to put
the snapshot data in the Release: field. This is simple enough when working
with a single "main" source, but what when there's multiple sources?

A solution could be to put each colour variant into a subpackage,
and make the "main" package a file-less package that just Requires:
all the colour variants. This way, each subpackage can have a different
Release: tag. However, doing this messes with rpmdev-bumpspec, which
gets confused and slaps ".1" at the end of each subpackage's Release: tag,
which in turn makes the Requires: unsatisfiable.

I could, alternatively, put the snapshot data in each subpackage's
Version: tag, but this goes against the Guidelines.

I could also just pretend that there's only one source, ship everything as one
package, and only use the snapshot info for the "main" branch. Though
this is a rather inelegant approach.

So, I guess my question is: what would be the preferred approach?

[1]
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Versioning/#_snapshots