On Tue, 2021-03-30 at 19:35 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:54:25PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 6:18 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> >
> > > There is no good way to do this.
> >
> > This is one of those cases where I occasionally
> > miss a mainframe fix update feature to prevent
> > certain bad automated results.
> >
> > In SMP/E, there was the concept of HOLD's for
> > a fix.  There were a number of HOLD reasons,
> > but one was ACTION, which prevented the
> > application of the fix unless the HOLD was
> > released.  I.e. you had to read the docs and
> > either do, or prepare to do, whatever the
> > ACTION said to do before you could proceed
>
> FWIW, with Debian's apt, that's more or less what you get: the
> upgrade
> will block and ask questions.
I remember quite a few times I got burned by this behavior on Debian
based systems - nothing better than to start a big system update and go
away only to come back hours later and find it stuck at the ~10th
package asking some useless question and not progressing with the
update at all.

Also given that package update transactions are not always atomic
and can easily result in a broken system if interrupted in the middle,
this also makes breakage more likely as the transaction remains in
vulnerable state much longer than it would be otherwise necessary,
waiting for the user to notice and answer the question.