On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 7:54 PM Robert Scheck <rob...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > We do have those packaged in Fedora:
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/efifs
> >
> > The GRUB2 sources being used as an input is wrong, though. It should
> > be using the ones from the rhboot fork:
> > https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/commits/fedora-35
>
> I am sorry, but honestly I do not have much interest to use the Red Hat
> grub2 fork, because efifs is patching the grub2 sources as part of its
> build process - and I am in doubt that the Red Hat grub2 fork won't break
> this (or something else). And if I would open Pandora's box, I wonder if
> the efifs upstream maintainer (Cc-ed) is still going to support me further
> in case of issues (especially if caused by the Red Hat grub2 fork) - Pete?

Strictly from the perspective of, who will provide support, I think we
want to go directly to the upstreams as much as possible. When GRUB's
file system modules get updates, they appear first upstream, and it'll
just delay things to have to wait for Fedora's GRUB to be rebased to
get those updates. And then if something isn't working right, the Red
Hat bootloader folks would have to be asked about what's going on,
while upstream pretty much is expected to ask if we've tried the
upstream source?

> My intention of packaging efifs for Fedora was to get systemd-boot handling
> my ext4 XBOOTLDR (https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/17756), which
> still is not working, because of the two issues mentioned there (and less
> systemd-boot upstream interest as it seems).

That is unfortunate.

--
Chris Murphy