On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 8:09 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:57:30PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Mo, 12.04.21 16:14, David Malcolm (dmalc...@redhat.com) wrote:
> >
> > > So I want to push back on the idea that a single package can be
> > > associated with a coredump, or be the one responsible for the crash:
> > > any or all of the ELF objects linked into the process could be at
> > > fault.
> >
> > The example in the feature page shows how we handle this: you'll see
> > the packaging metadata of all involved ELF objects in coredumpctl's
> > output. i.e. we should be nicely covered on this, and we are fully
> > aware that the "main" ELF objects is the culprit of crashes only in a
> > fraction of cases.
>
> This is true.
>
> OTOH, this new metadata doesn't really change the situation here.
> Before, we already had build-ids for all the packages "involved" in
> the stack trace. And our processing tools already could do the
> conversion to package nevras. (They have to have network access to
> create a report.) The only thing that changes is *how* this conversion
> happens, but for online reports such conversion was always possible.

The new metadata guarantees that the ELF data churns, though. For
example, if I bump the Release in a spec file for something unrelated
to the build, all the ELF blobs change. The current state means that
this is deduplicated in RPM CoW and a very cheap upgrade, since the
binaries weren't all touched.