On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 18:24 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 01:12:07PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm just going to sympathise with you rather than provide a good
> > > answer here ...  We had the same problem in libguestfs where Argon2
> > > used too much memory for our small appliance when opening LUKS2 disks.
> > > We had to simply increase the amount of memory reserved, which is far
> > > from ideal.
> >
> > Or you could switch to use PBKDF2, it is still a supported and
> > reasonable option.
>
> libguestfs has to open whatever disk image the user gives it, and whoever
> built the image originally decided whether it uses Argon2 or PBKDF2.

My bad, I thought you were creating new partitions. Yeah argon2 has
that "problem". In theory there is a tradeoff between memory vs CPU
power, but it seem our implementation decided to go for memory and not
give the option to use the more time consuming but less memory hungry
algorithm.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce