On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:04:34AM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Updated F33 -> F34.  Mostly went well, except there is one thing which
> could be better.  This is not new to F34 but has been there since the
> dnf system-upgrade.
>
> Running on a pretty decent laptop (core i7, 8GB, SSD).  The issue is
> that the installation hangs a long time with no evidence of activity.
> The hang begins at
> dnf running transaction.  It is disconcerting because it hangs for
> about 20-30 minutes, and during that time the fan is not running, so

20-30 minutes seems unexpected… There is a phase where dnf is solving
the deps, but it's usually much much shorter (*), and it's CPU-bound,
so the fans should be on. I don't know what's going on in your case,
but it sounds like some bug.

Do you have a huge number of packages? Lot's of modules? A very slow disk?

Zbyszek

(*) I was upgrading a rpi3 recently, and I had to wait a few minutes...
But on a beefy machine, anything above a few dozen seconds is suspicious.