Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but IMO Maven in Fedora should be built the
> same way as upstream builds it, that is with Maven. That minimizes the
> possibility of deviating from upstream and introducing unnoticed bugs.
> Instead a custom project was created that is used to build from
> scratch a minimal environment that contains Maven and that can be used
> to build Maven package. Then Maven can be used to rebuild itself as
> many times as needed.

Well, the thing is, this sort of circular build dependency may be very
attractive to build tool upstreams, because this "dogfooding" provides a way
to continuously test the build tool "for free", but for us distributors, it
just makes things a pain.

That said, if the OpenSUSE approach means to have to maintain a downstream
ant build.xml in parallel to the upstream Maven one, this means extra work
that may be actually more effort than the bootstrapping.

I really wish compiler developers would stop writing (almost) every compiler
in its own programming language, build systems would stop using themselves
to build, etc. Sadly, it is not going to happen.

        Kevin Kofler