On 5/22/21 9:58 PM, Björn Persson wrote:

> So what I'm hearing is that Fedora will soon stop working with my
> printer,
There isn't a specific date for removing the functionality, now we work
on implementing printer applications for widely known and open sourced
printer drivers.
>  because if there isn't enough manpower to even keep existing
> printer drivers in place,
The future removal isn't due lacking manpower, but due moving to
standardized and less hardware dependent solutions - driverless
standards such as IPP Everywhere. And those standards are supported by
98% devices released after 2010.
>  then who is going to write a bunch of pappls
> for not-quite-brand-new printers?
Openprinting community plans to write printer applications for some
widely known printer drivers during Google Summer of Code in the
future[1]. For others - we expect other communities which want those
devices to work once drivers are removed from CUPS will step up and
implement the missing parts. Openprinting created a printer application
library [2] and documentation for them [3][4].

> And if the bright and shiny future is that USB printers look just like
> network printers, and network printers just show up without any
> installation, then I'm starting to wonder how I will know whether I'm
> sending my sensitive document to my USB printer or to some impostor on
> a wifi network.

CUPS discovery is designed to run on secure, private LAN, so it is
expected that you have a protection against somebody connecting to your
WIFI.

[1]
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2021-openprinting-projects#converting_classic_cups_printer_drivers_into_printer_applications_multiple_students

[2] https://github.com/michaelrsweet/pappl/