On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 at 12:27, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:
> >
> > On 08/06/2021 14:51, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> >
> > > I was thinking about suggesting a similar PAM module to convert
> > > existing hashes, but I suspect that we'd be coming up against some
> > > issues with security policy and separation of actions. Right now, I
> > > expect that SELinux permits PAM processes to have read-only access to
> > > /etc/shadow, but such a change would necessitate read/write access,
> > > which is riskier. It's also why PAM has separate activities for
> > > authentication, authorization and password-change.
> >
> > Surely it has to allow write as well because any authentication can
> > already prompt for a password change if the password is expired?
> >

> It's been a while, but I *think* I remember that PAM sends back an
> "expired password" message and the client application (eg. `login`)
> then calls the pam_chpass() stack.
> ___

I believe it is something like that. mainly because there are many systems
where a password change is a major auditable event and you only want those
generated from specific systems and then pushed out. [Yes this doesn't fit
well with the world of today, but the PAM stack was written for the
security policies and actions of the late 1980's/early 1990's... ]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in