On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 07:53:04PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 10:29:50AM -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM David Duncan <davd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I made that sound like an imperative. That was a mistake. I wanted to
> > > redirect the thread to technical review instead of program concerns.  Of
> > > course no actual implementation will be done without approval.
> > >

> > So, I suppose I should mention here for discussion what I put in the
> > FESCo ticket.  My main concern with this from a cloud image
> > standpoint, is cloud images are run on a number of hosts. Many of
> > those hosts are RHEL or CentOS based. As RHEL does not enable the
> > btrfs filesystem at all, and has no plans to that I am aware of, this
> > means that users on those hosts will no longer be able to mount their
> > images to debug issues or modify in any way.  Libguestfs for RHEL is
> > not a workaround at this point, because it doesn't support btrfs on
> > RHEL either.  It would also mean that these images could not be used
> > as container images in that environment.  Of course the images can
> > still be booted, and will work as expected as long as they are running
> > in a virtualized environment with their own kernel.  I am not sure how
> > important this is for people, but it needs to be considered.
>
> Yeah, I think we have to accept that there won't be any kernel support
> in RHEL in a timeframe that matters for Fedora, and the RHEL host will not be
> able to mount the images natively. So the questions for me are:
> 1. I this a problem in practice? I.e. how often do people need to use Fedora
>    images for containers on RHEL hosts?

The case I am wondering about is openstack and other private cloud's.
I know in the past when we ran an openstack cloud, it could resize
images to the flavor you picked and it did so outside of cloud-init, it
was actual openstack putting the image on a backing store and resizing
it. Perhaps it doesn't do that anymore, or perhaps it would work with
btfs, but it would be nice to know. :(

kevin