Hello,

I was packaging a new application when I noticed that it installed its AppData file in `/usr/share/appdata`, instead of `%{metainfodir}`: `/usr/share/metainfo`. Never noticing the distinction before, I use dnf and find several other packages installing files there. Interestingly, the `%{__metainfo_path}` macro do also refer to `/usr/share/appdata`. I even find out that an app I'm developing in GTK is installing its AppData file there :P!

The Guidelines itself is ambiguous, it is not a MUST that AppData files should be installed in `%{metainfodir}`, but it is clearly intended to be required (the SHOULD referring to the existence of the AppData file, and not its location):

> If a package contains a GUI application, then it SHOULD install a |.metainfo.xml| file into |%{_metainfodir}|. Installed |.metainfo.xml| files MUST follow the AppStream specification page <https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Quickstart.html#sect-Quickstart-DesktopApps>.

And I found an old discussion on the mailing list about it [1]. Neal Gompa is recommending there that the AppData should be installed in `%{_metainfodir}`. So, shouldn't we clarify the Guidelines to precise that the AppData file MUST be installed in `%{_metainfodir}` as well as fixing the packages using the wrong path or should we allow both paths to coexist?

I don't think that this is an important issue though, since `appstream-glib` take both paths in account [2].

Ironically, I found some `.metainfo.xml` in `/usr/share/appdata` and some `.appdata.xml` in `/usr/share/metainfo`.

[1]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/DTWEF524FXOR5MY7VQUDY3K6JLIKNUQM/ [2]: https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/blob/master/libappstream-builder/plugins/asb-plugin-appdata.c#L31-L35