On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 09:07:58AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> Note from the change owner: I'm submitting this as very-very-late
> change for F35. The implementation in systemd is mostly done, so it'll
> become available in rawhide pretty soon. To actually make use of the
> new functionality, individual packages should be changed to use
> _with_restart in their scriptlets and rebuilt. This will happen over
> time, and it's fine if each package does that on its own schedule. We
> still do not have that many user services, and restarting from
> packaging scriptlets will be possible and appropriate only for some of
> them. I think it's important to make the functionality available,
> without trying to use it everywhere immediately.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Restart_User_Service_after_Upgrade

We've been restarting httpd on upgrades in %posttrans for a while, so
it's good to see a more general version of this available.  A couple of
notes:

1) Users asked to be able to turn this off ("why did running dnf break
my web server" etc), which I think is reasonable, we added a crude
mechanism (touch /etc/sysconfig/thing) to disable it.

2) Blocking the dnf transaction from completing before the service
restarts turned out to be quite painful UX and we now only run
try-restart with --no-block.  Depending on the service or service
configuration there it can be a significant delay. Obviously a trade-off
here since it can hide the failure case.

I tried to trace through the systemd macros (the links from the Change
wiki under "Macro details" are broken) and it looks like you do block on
restart/reload, is that worth reconsidering?  Maybe we could wrap the
systemd macros to achieve (1) as well for httpd, but I'd say that it
might be a more generally useful feature too to allow users control over
this feature.

Regards, Joe