On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 08:57:39AM +0300, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
> I have problems interpreting the following check from fedora-review:
>
> > [ ]: Description and summary sections in the package spec file
> contains translations for supported Non-English languages, if
> available.

My understanding is that this is about translations of %description
and Summary:

E.g. autofs has this:

Summary(de): autofs daemon
Summary(fr): démon autofs
Summary(tr): autofs sunucu süreci
%description
autofs is a daemon which automatically mounts filesystems when you use
them, and unmounts them later when you are not using them.  This can
include network filesystems, CD-ROMs, floppies, and so forth.

%description -l de
autofs ist ein Dämon, der Dateisysteme automatisch montiert, wenn sie
benutzt werden, und sie später bei Nichtbenutzung wieder demontiert.
Dies kann Netz-Dateisysteme, CD-ROMs, Disketten und ähnliches einschließen.

%description -l fr
autofs est un démon qui monte automatiquement les systèmes de fichiers
lorsqu'on les utilise et les démonte lorsqu'on ne les utilise plus. Cela
inclus les systèmes de fichiers réseau, les CD-ROMs, les disquettes, etc.

This can be consumed with:
$ dnf download autofs
$ LANG=de rpm -qpi autofs-5.1.7-17.fc34.x86_64.rpm
Name        : autofs
Description :
autofs ist ein Dämon, der Dateisysteme automatisch montiert, wenn sie
benutzt werden, und sie später bei Nichtbenutzung wieder demontiert.
Dies kann Netz-Dateisysteme, CD-ROMs, Disketten und ähnliches einschließen.

> In one of the first package reviews I made, I recall suggesting
> copying such translations from the desktop file which had many
> suitable translations. In the end, this suggestion was not followed,
> because a more experienced reviewer said that having translations in
> desktop file is not what is meant by 'translations are available'
> here — only an upstream specfile with translations would count.
>
> I would like to update fedora-review as well as Review and Packaging
> Guidelines to explain what is expected for these translations. For
> that, I would need to understand the purpose of this check better.
> Perhaps somebody here has some insight?

I'd propose dropping the check. I think it's fine to let people do
those translations, it is a LOT of work to do them for multiple languages
and to keep them updated as the original version changes.
And since this is only available only for a tiny subset of packages,
it's close to useless. (You'd need to know English anyway to read
most descriptions…).

If we wanted to invest in translations, (and this is a big if), I'd
try to do this as the level of appdata, so at least the graphical
installer can show translations. This would also let upstreams get
involved in the translations, instead of doing it at the level of the
distro. I assume people who don't speak English are more likely to use
the graphical installer too, since so many commands have English
options and output in English.

> I addition to the fedora-review check given above, I can find the
> following references:
>
> Review Guidelines [1] have this entry, which is quite clearly the
> origin of the fedora-review check.
>
> > SHOULD: The description and summary sections in the package spec
> file should contain translations for supported Non-English
> languages, if available.
>
> That entry refers to Packaging Guidelines: Summary and description
> [2]. It has milder wording, saying 'can' instead of 'should':
>
> > Packages can contain additional translated summary/description for
> supported Non-English languages, if available.

Yeah, I think this "can" is reasonable.

> Assuming that the Packaging Guidelines are correct and that 'can'
> there means 'you can do it either way, Fedora as a distribution does
> not have any preference', I would say the above listed entries
> should simply be removed from both Review Guidelines and
> fedora-review. If Fedora has no preference either way, why should
> reviewers consider this at all?
>
> There are some but not very many specfiles that actually have translations:
>
>     $ grep -c 'Summary(' * | grep -v .spec:0 | wc -l
>     137

Zbyszek