On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 05:39:54PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Cool. EPEL has long been a necessary part of RHEL environments, and for
> many of us RHEL would not be welcome in our production environments without

Agreed! :)

> it.  I especially include components like ansible, which may be available
> from additional RHEL yum channels but are awkward, at best, to provide in
> CentOS and non-specifically-subscribed default RHEL systems. It's going to
> especially require attention with the 4.x release of ansible, which
> requires python 3.6 or later, and which originally required python 3.8
> which was not available for RHEL 7 or CentOS 7. I thought I might have to
> set up pyenv, which I did *not* want to do!

So, a few things here...

Do note that CPE staffing EPEL means there's a full time person
available to help fix things, move things forward, help with release
engineering and community and such. It does not mean the CPE staff
person will instantly take over package maintanice from all the
community members that spend so much of their valuable time maintaining
EPEL packages. :)

With my ansible maintainer hat on, ansible 4.x is in the works for
Fedora (look for a f36 change soon). I am not sure if it's going to be
possible to add it to epel8, but I will try! epel7 is pretty much a lost
cause as a control host after ansible-2.9 sunsets at the end of the
year.

kevin