On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 8:30 AM Jaroslav Mracek <jmra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > 2. What happens if package P (already installed on the user's system)
> > starts recommending package Q (not installed on the user's system)? Will
> > get auto-installed together with P's update, or not? I believe it's
> > important to keep auto-installation enabled for *new* weak relationships.
>
> New weak dependencies of package P are installed.
> Installed P-1-1.noarch (no recommends)
> Available P-1-2.noarch (recommends ddd) will install ddd on upgrade if
> possible.
>
> > 3. Similarly to above (perhaps exactly the same case), what happens when
> > package Q (not installed) starts supplementing package P (installed),
> will
> > it get auto-installed or not?
>
> No, Q will be not installed. With supplements it is difficult to known
> when it appears, because that information is not on RPMDB.

While it makes sense technically, this might be quite confusing for
packagers. Up until now I think there were no real-world differences
between forward (recommends) and backward (supplements) dependencies. This
(and also the first answer) should get documented in the Change proposal
and in the packaging guidelines [1]. Can you please add an action item to
the proposal to adjust relevant Fedora docs?

[1]
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/WeakDependencies/