On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 1:07 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> A question about this which is semi-related to your email.
>
> For some C library packages we have Java bindings, eg:
> https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/tree/master/java
>
> These have been disabled in Fedora for ~2 years, but when they were
> around they had these BuildRequires:
>
>   BuildRequires: java-1.8.0-openjdk
>   BuildRequires: java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel
>   BuildRequires: jpackage-utils
>
> I believe the only requirements are javac, javah, javadoc (optional)
> and a JVM to run the tests on.
>
> Is it possible to keep this going, or would that require a lot of
> work?  I notice that javah no longer seems to exist.
>
> (Note I know almost nothing about how the modern JDK works)

I think you'd probably want to do

1) switch to java-11-openjdk (it's the default on all currently
supported Fedora branches)
2) replace jpackage-utils with javapackages-tools (depending on what
exactly you need from that package)
3) replace javah usage (removed with Java 11) with "java -h", or
similar (for an example how I handled this for another package, look
at https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/jblas/pull-request/2 )

And since those bindings do not look like they require any third-party
Java libraries, you should be fine.

Fabio