On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 2:09 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21 2021 at 06:25:58 PM -0500, Michael Catanzaro
> <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:
> > I'll probably add an ExcludeArch and leave it for 32-bit users to
> > deal with.
>
> OK, in conclusion, this is what I wound up doing.
>
> Unfortunately, the armv7hl build has started failing with the same
> problem, even though it was working fine last week, so I'm going to
> ExcludeArch that too. This is more significant because we produce
> actual ARM images, so this is going to have a much bigger impact beyond
> multilib and is fairly likely to take out something that is needed for
> the ARM images. I can't think of anything else to try in order to avoid
> this outcome, though, so I think 32-bit people will just need to get
> comfortable with revising dependencies to avoid WebKit. Sorry....
>
> Note that aarch64 is still perfectly fine, so this will have no impact
> there.

This is extremely unfortunate.

While I appreciate that getting webkit updates out to users is
important, this gives package maintainers and release engineering very
little time to react.
I assume many rawhide deliverables will start to fail because of the
missing webkit2gtk3 packages after that last build finishes (if it
succeeds).

I initially suggested making this a F36 System-Wide Change for a
reason, at least on paper or after the fact - to give people at least
*some* advance warning and allow for coordinated action around the
package removal on 32-bit arches ... For example, will this mean
Fedora can no longer produce Workstation (or other Spins) images for
arm, (given that e.g. gnome-shell transitively depends on
webkit2gtk3)?

Fabio