On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 at 10:03, Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > a) Not have Lennart's name tied to a request. That just pulls in all
> > kinds of over-the-top statements where people will say 99.99% of the
> > people won't use it without any evidence.
>
> What does Lennart's name have to do with this? I would have objected the
> same way to this change no matter whose name(s) are on it. (And for what it
> is worth, I actually considered this to be mainly Zbyszek's change proposal.
> But it does not matter anyway. I have nothing against Zbyszek and I have
> seen a lot of good ideas from him. This change just happens to be a bad
> idea.)
>
> > b) Don't mention disk space growth. You will get nothing about how you
> > are bloating the operating system. **
>
> Nonsense. It is blatantly obvious to me that adding annotations to
> executables will bloat the operating system, even if you attempt to swipe
> that issue under the carpet. Do not take me for dumb!
>
> > c) Don't mention anything about making debugging or security easier.
> > Anyone who has a workflow will see that as a challenge to their own
> > choices.
>
> That is also a nonsensical assertion. The issue here is that there is a
> tradeoff between provable global bloat to the entire distribution and a very
> questionable gain in functionality.
>
> > This change has all three and so is going to be yelled at over and
> > over again. Instead you should make a change request which will give
> > you all those but has some other item tied to it.
>
> So you are advocating deliberately using a dishonest and misleading
> political tactic that politicians are rightfully criticized for, namely
> hiding unwanted changes in a larger change proposal?

I should have dropped my sarcasm and stated the following:

These threads end up with people emailing dozens or more times about
the growth of kilobytes or megabytes while not giving the same amount
of comment to growth 10x that much. Developers just want to get their
work and changes done efficiently, and what we have taught them is
that 'ask for forgiveness rather than permission' is the most
efficient path. Any current or future complaints that developers are
acting like politicians are moot, when we have made the best way to
get a change done is to act like one.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in