On 11/8/21 13:37, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
On Monday, 08 November 2021 at 11:51, Andreas Schneider wrote:
On Monday, November 8, 2021 10:55:32 AM CET Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
On Monday, 08 November 2021 at 10:12, Andreas Schneider wrote:

Hi,

there are several packages in the distribution which require FFMPEG
(libavformat, libavcodec, etc.), one of them being chromium. The package
could
  be created in a way that you can easily replace it with a version
from rpmfusion to get to the full encoder/decoder set including H264 etc.

This is working fine with openSUSE and packages from Packman.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/multimedia:libs/ffmpeg-4
https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/Essentials/A_tw-ffmpeg

The Packman version always has a higher release version than the one in
the
  distribution.

I'm interested in this, as I try to package electron for Fedora. The big
problem is the included ffmpeg. With openSUSE I can just use the system
ffmpeg, with Fedora I have to do some source code voodoo which I really
would
  like to avoid.

Maintaining such package would require keeping watch for any new files
you'd need to include and going through legal review each time you do.

Did you take a look how they solved it at SUSE?

Actually, yes. We cannot do the same as we cannot distribute the full
upstream source.

You have list for encoder and decoders which are allowed to be built. So if a
new encoder or decoder would be added, it would just not be built. You will
just always end up with the same set of encoders/decoders with every update.

Sometimes new dependencies get added to existing decoders/encoders which
would require legal review.

Packman uses the exact same package as openSUSE and all it does it to enable
all encoders and decoders.

All packages requiring ffmpeg can just always be built against the system
version.

It should be less legal work, as you have to check just one package and not
several which might include it as third_party source code.

Chromium was checked by legal. I'm not aware of any other Fedora
packages bundling a subset of FFmpeg.

Firefox ships bundled ffmpeg with VP8/9 and maybe some other codecs.

--
Martin Stransky
Software Engineer / Red Hat, Inc