On 16. 11. 21 20:47, Fabio Valentini wrote:
Hi everybody,

The announcement of the Change proposal to drop armv7 support with F37
has reminded me of something that I wanted to ask about some time ago:
How we could work towards reducing the number of packages we build for
i686.

Our current approach, which is to "build everything but ship almost
nothing" - just to keep x86_64 / i686 multilib working - is, frankly,
very wasteful of computing and storage resources, as well as a burden
on maintainers of big packages, which frequently run up against limits
of 32-bit architectures.

I think it should be possible to figure out a way to limit the number
of packages that need to be built for the common multilib usecases
(Wine + Steam ... am I forgetting something?), and just ... not build
anything else for i686.

Have you seen this discussion?

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/TDDNEGF3PGCSIXITSIINUTZTFBSK4HGK/

This would probably involve the following steps:

1. determine the packages that need to be built on i686 for common
multilib scenarios
2. determine recursive install-time and build-time dependencies of
those packages
3. if necessary, update this list with any new build-or install-time
dependencies that are added to the package set

As for how to implement this, I'm not sure about the details yet
(which is why I'm sending this as an RFC and not filing a Change
proposal yet).

See for example my idea for implementation:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/A5II3GGIDUDVCWLRZ6AXGAA4WWJH6VSN/

However, I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

--
Miro Hrončok