On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:44:25PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:07 PM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> <domi...@greysector.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 18:58, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > [...]
> > > What else is there that people care about in Fedora that's only i686?
> >
> > There are some old proprietary games with i686-only binaries. I'll check
> > which packages are required by the ones I have.
>
> I think the easy answer here is, indeed, "games". And for some Fedora
> users, that might not be an important use case.

(snip)

I'm not much of a gamer myself, but I think this *is* an important use
case that we simply have to cater to, if we want to be more than a niche
distro. We already take a big hit on not having patent-encumbered codecs
by default, and not being able to run Wine or Steam would be a bad label
to have.

I'll share my own use case too: I use the 32 bit libs to test compilation
of programs. Most often systemd, but others too on occasion. It works like
this: after installing i686 versions of the build deps,
PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/pkgconfig meson build-32 -Dc_args=-m32 \
  -Dc_link_args=-m32 -Dcpp_args=-m32 -Dcpp_link_args=-m32 && \
  ninja -C build-32

I will also use armv7-*.fedorainfracloud.org as another 32-bit arch, but
it's better to test for i686 too.

If Fedora drops i686 multilib, it'll be much harder to do this kind of
upstream development of C projects.

> Two Hundred (or even make it 300) packages - that's around 1% of the
> whole corpus of Fedora packages (with almost 23000 source packages in
> rawhide).
> Which I think confirms my suspicion that just building *everything*
> for i686 is 99% wasteful ...

+1.

Zbyszek